Saturday, February 16, 2008

Final touches and preparation for D.B.C. bakers

Here are some reminders and suggestions specifically for bakers:

*Get to the library betwen 4:45 PM and 5:15 PM so that you are set up and your desserts are ready to be judged at 5:30 PM (tasters come at 6:30)

*Do you have any toppings or decorations that must be ready? In my case, I am making some homemade whipped cream not too long before I leave the house and I am topping my cheesecake with it at the library.

*Do you need to bring along any special implements to cut or portion your dessert? There will likely be a few extras at the library BUT it's best to bring your own!

*What do you transport your dessert in? I am improvising. I've got two small computer boxes that will work and I'll be making "trays" out of cardboard and aluminum foil. I am cutting my cakes here and carefully putting them in the boxes (while I hold my breath).

*You have to bring along a copy of your recipe. Typed is nice, but even if it's handwritten, bring that recipe along! The bake-off rules require that you submit your recipe tonight at the latest.

Even if you are competitive, remember to enjoy the exileration of taking part in this delicious community event. I have always been so proud of each participant and so complimented that so many people have contributed their best efforts.

Now that I am on the baking side of the event (and making a big mess in my own kitchen), you can believe that I am doubly impressed by what you glorious bakers have always done for Death by Chocolate.

See you there!

Carol Gruba, DBC Founder

No comments: