Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Singing with the Angels


Death by Chocolate. A fantastic concept, really. Think of all the ways you could go. That’s what I’m talking about. So, personally, I intend to say sayonara over a particularly decadent piece of chocolate cake. Just like my 94 year-old great-grandmother. She ordered chocolate cake for dessert and 20 minutes later she was with the angels in heaven.


Not that I’m ready to exit the planet just yet, but I am always on the lookout for the perfectly delicious bite of chocolate worthy enough to send me on my way. Besides the exquisite chocolates of David Bacco or Markus Candinas, I may have found just the dessert: A Mocha Layer Cake with Chocolate-Rum Cream Filling. I discovered it, several years ago, while drooling over the December 2001 issue of Bon Appétit magazine. I couldn’t resist serving this cake to usher in 2002. The dessert received rave reviews. What’s not to like about chocolate-rum cream filling?


I hope someone (since I can’t) will give this recipe a whirl for the Death By Chocolate Bake Off. You may find it at epicurious, the web site that hosts recipes from Bon Appétit and Gourmet magazines. Here’s the link: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Mocha-Layer-Cake-with-Chocolate-Rum-Cream-Filling-106023

1 comment:

Candace G. said...

Usually, I think to myself, "I wish there was more filling in this."

It doesn't look like I could even begin thinking that with this cake. I hope someone makes it, too!